Monday, May 23, 2011

ESL: Is Improvement at Hand?

On the US Department of Education's blog post, titled: 
ED Wraps Up National Conversations on English Learner Education



Office of English Language Acquisition (OELA)
Office of Elementary and Secondary Education (OESE)
Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services (OSERS)
White House Initiative on Educational Excellence for Hispanics (WHIEEH)

Who knew there are so many special offices/accounts dealing with educational issues? I feel like I've been missing the action somewhere along the line. All these "offices" are having/holding "conversations" and I didn't even know anyone was talking!! It's as though all the old "offices" in existence long before President G.W. Bush came into office have suddenly re-emerged under new names, or have been reborn and celebrated under old ones. Glad to see there have been conversations among these areas and others since April. It may only be a month's worth of conversations, but I'm glad they're occurring. 

ESL has been in need of serious revamping for decades. It's good to see that the idea of putting together programs and creating adequate, appropriate testing are being seriously discussed again. I just wonder if the conversations will lead to action in my lifetime. I may be old, but I'm not that old yet. With the speed at which education normally moves, however, will I still be around when real change occurs?


Here's the link:
ED Wraps Up National Conversations on English Learner Education



No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your comments below.